The 1951 Bentley Mark VI was largely similar to its predecessor, the 1950 Mark VI, with only minor updates. The Mark VI was the first post-war Bentley model and was produced from 1946 to 1952. It was also the first Bentley to be built with a factory body instead of being sold as a rolling chassis for custom coachwork.
The Mark VI was powered by a 4.3-liter inline six-cylinder engine with an output of around 125 horsepower, mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. It featured independent front suspension and hydraulic drum brakes. The car was available in both saloon and convertible versions.
One notable update for the 1951 model year was the addition of an optional automatic transmission, which was the first time an automatic transmission had been offered in a Bentley. Other updates included the availability of a more powerful engine option with a higher compression ratio, and a redesigned steering wheel.
Overall, the Bentley Mark VI was a successful model for the brand, with over 5,200 units produced during its six-year production run. It set the stage for Bentley’s continued success in the post-war era, and helped establish the brand as a symbol of luxury and performance.