The Bentley Mark VI was produced from 1946 to 1952, and the 1950 model year was one of the later years of production. The Mark VI was the first post-war Bentley and was introduced in 1946 at the London Motor Show. It was the first Bentley model to be produced entirely in-house by Bentley Motors Ltd. after the company was taken over by Rolls-Royce in 1931.
The 1950 Bentley Mark VI was powered by a 4.3-liter inline-six engine that produced 130 horsepower. It had a four-speed manual transmission with synchromesh on the top three gears and was capable of reaching a top speed of around 100 mph. The Mark VI also featured independent front suspension and hydraulic brakes, which were a significant improvement over previous Bentley models.
The Mark VI was available in four-door saloon, two-door coupe, and convertible models. The bodywork was designed and built by independent coachbuilders, and the cars were sold as rolling chassis to be fitted with the coachwork of the owner’s choice. Some of the most well-known coachbuilders to work on the Mark VI include Park Ward, James Young, and H.J. Mulliner.
In addition to its mechanical and technological advancements, the Bentley Mark VI was also notable for its luxurious interior. The dashboard and trim were made of walnut, and the seats were upholstered in fine leather. The car also featured a full range of instruments, including a tachometer and oil pressure gauge.