The 1961 Aston Martin DB4 was a continuation of the DB4 model that was introduced in 1958. The car featured the same sleek Italian-designed body and powerful six-cylinder engine as its predecessors, but with a few updates and additions for the 1961 model year.
One notable change for the 1961 DB4 was the introduction of a new version of the engine, known as the “Vantage” engine. This high-performance engine was equipped with triple Weber carburetors and produced 266 horsepower, a significant increase over the standard engine’s output of 240 horsepower. The Vantage engine was available as an option for the DB4, making it one of the fastest and most powerful grand tourers of its time.
Another update for the 1961 DB4 was the availability of an upgraded suspension system, which included stiffer springs and shock absorbers for improved handling and responsiveness.
Under the hood, the 1961 DB4 was powered by a 3.7-liter DOHC straight-six engine, which could be paired with either a four-speed manual transmission with overdrive or a three-speed automatic transmission with a torque converter lockup feature.
Inside, the DB4 was fitted with luxurious leather upholstery, electric windows, and a wood-rimmed steering wheel. The car also featured a range of advanced features for the time, including a tachometer, oil temperature gauge, and an optional radio.